One of the things taught in my ReWilding the Soul in Nature class (session starting in March!) is doing the Next Right Thing. We can get caught up in a decision that is 10 steps away from where we are right now, and it can be paralyzing. We feel powerless. That event or decision is unknoweable, premature, but we get stuck in this future thought that isn't actually ready to be dealt with yet.
Instead, our power can always be found in this moment, in doing the Next Right Thing. Maybe that is making dinner. Maybe that is asking more questions and getting more information. Maybe that is getting still and reconnecting with the body. Maybe it is playing a game with your child and giving them your full attention. Whatever it is, it is generally an action taken with the body, or a re-integration of the body, into this moment. Bringing our physical awareness back into this moment.
We can practice feeling into the Next Right Thing with this simple exercise:
- Find a spot of nature, this takes about 10 minutes.
- Center yourself, feel your feet grounded into the earth and take 3 breaths while visualizing the air going in and out of your belly.
- Set your intention to know your True Nature.
- Bring your awareness into your body.
- Cast your eyes downward so they can only see about 1 foot ahead of you.
- Feeling into the options in front of you, where you can place your foot next, feel into the energy of each possible step.
- One spot, one direction, one patch of grass will feel different than the rest. Take the one that feels good.
Our bodies *love* being listened to and following the energy that feels good. The joy that this exercise sparks is always available to us, and is exactly what living in the moment and trusting our body feels like. And we can have this feeling any time we choose it.
Let me know if you try it, and what you think!
Norma Van Horn